I asked moms to describe their child’s health improvements once gluten free. Below is what I heard in one short hour of just one day on one small FaceBook page. Fortunately many many more kiddos are benefiting from a correct diagnosis. But tragically, so many more kiddos are still suffering from symptoms – some life threatening, most life impacting. Most often this lack of testing is due to a lack of parent’s awareness, because, as you can see below, many of these kiddos are gluten free because of mom’s perseverance once learning of the possibility of gluten being the root of issues.
But also, unfortunately I’ve heard of doctors and parents who avoid this solution because “it’s too hard”. Too hard?!! Would we tolerate it if a child was forced to live with an untreated broken arm because it’s too hard to have to take that extra time that goes with assisting this child with dressing and bathing and eating because this child now has a cast? Of course not!
Too many kiddos are being disciplined for behaviors they cannot control and suffering the consequence of the effect it has on academics and social skills. Too many are still suffering the effects of being malnourished. Too many are sick needlessly, period.
(I am one who learned all this first hand. A life time of being impacted physically and emotionally.)
Do any of these kiddos sound like someone you know?
1. This little girl is now gluten and dairy free after mom searched for answers for her out of control asthma and back to back viral infections. She suffered from fevers that could last as long as a week - as high as 104 degrees! - for an entire week! Now, gluten free, no more asthma and no more back-to-back viral infections. She rarely gets sick – and when she does it doesn’t last long. They did attempt to reintroduce dairy once and this resulted in bronchitis, so no more dairy. A functional medicine doctor diagnosed mom with celiac and her daughter with non-celiac gluten intolerance. No 104 degree fevers since being gluten free. The bloated belly she once experienced is now flat.
2. Along with the standard GI issues, this young man’s behavior is greatly affected when he gets gluten. Mom says that he gets sassy and has temper tantrums, behaviors that disappear when he’s gluten free. He also experiences neuro type symptoms; slurred speech and clumsy, such as that of someone who has been drinking .
3. Here’s another little guy who suffered with bronchitis and pneumonia. It was so bad during one episode that he was life flighted to a children’s hospital due to pleural effusion. Testing finally discovered that he was IgA absent, making testing inaccurate and putting off a celiac diagnosis for two years. It was mom’s demand to see a specialist that finally brought their answer. But it was almost too late. He had gotten so ill that his first two endoscopes were cancelled, delaying a diagnosis even further. He was an extremely ill and malnourished little boy. He was also a nonstop nail biter. When mom asked his pediatrician if this could be due to pica, he just laughed at her. As soon as his vitamin and iron levels were back up however, guess what? – the nail biting stopped.
4. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. We so often hear of personality changes. This mom describes her daughter as naturally very, very sweet when gluten free. But when she gets gluten her behavior is filled with anger. Even at just eight years of age, she recognizes this change in herself, saying that she just wants to punch something.
5. After experiencing severe asthma attacks prior to discovering an issue with gluten, another mom shared that her son is nearly asthma free now that he is gluten free. He also experiences anger problems with gluten, as well as dandruff and weight gain. And his brother, now also gluten free, was sick all the time prior to going gluten free. He now no longer gets the annual strep throat and tonsillitis that he was so used to experiencing.
6. The doctor prescribed miralax daily for another child’s issue with chronic constipation, which didn’t help. She also experienced weight gain and bloating. After only a short time gluten free, her clothes decreased an entire pant size due to the elimination of bloating, and she no longer complains of belly aches. She was tested for celiac prior to going gluten free, but tests came back negative. Fortunately, mom understood celiac, having been diagnosed herself several years earlier after also having a childhood filled with belly aches. She made the choice to transition her daughter to a gluten free diet. And after only a few weeks gluten free she asked mom if she could be gluten free forever – she felt that much better!!
7. Seizures!! This child had experienced an uncontrollable seizure disorder – for 9 years! He experience 9 years of seizures, 9 EEGs, 10 Epileptic meds with 2 near fatal reactions and brain surgery as the next step towards relief before a gluten free diet finally put an end to this family’s nightmare. And he’s been seizure free now for 8 years!
Like us on FaceBook :)